Wednesday, July 8, 2009

A Taste of My Future

Last night I had the privilege of dining at one of the schools I hope to join once I graduate high school.

Oregon Culinary Institute is a relatively new school in the Portland area but seems to be doing just as well or maybe even better as Western Culinary Institute which has been in the area much longer. Though the kitchens were small, the taste of the food was larger than life.

The student's restaurant was as clean and sophisticated as many normal restaurants in the area. With the menu changing every four weeks, fresh ingredients are always used and nothing is out of season.

First to taste is the wonderful service that the students offer. Working the front of house last night, was a young man named Chris who was never without a smile and was overall, a great person. He made me feel as if I, and any one else who walked through the door, belonged there.

Second to taste was a basket overflowing with an assortment of freshly baked bread and the creamiest most delicious butter to go on top. The decadence of the bread was so refreshing and so delicious I could have eaten it all night.

Next were the starters. I had a delicious Spring Minestrone Soup which was not exactly what I expected. Though the flavors were good and clean, the taste reminded me more of of a French Onion Soup than a Minestrone. Both are delicious and I am not knocking the dish but the name was misleading.

My dad ordered the Minted Fava Bean Puree which was devine. Only problem was, I didnt get time enough to savor it, Dad would only let me have one bite, he claimed the rest for himself. Wasnt that selfish of him?

When our starters were finished, course two came out like clockwork. This time dad and I ordered the same dish, a refreshing Smoke Salmon "Blini" Salad. Served on what seemed to be an herb crepe, the dish was piled high with baby spinich, pickled red onions and the best Salmon I have tasted in a while. Kudos to you OCI, you made me fall in love with fish all over agian.

Then came out the Entrees. The dish I ordered was a Braised Lamb Gnocchi with Baby Artichokes, Olives, and Cheese. Though the lamb was delicious and it went well with the artichoke and olives, I found the cheese quite over powering. You couldn't taste anything else if you even had a tiny bit of cheese on your fork. Every thing else in the dish was devine, I just wish they had left the cheese out, or put a whole lot less of it in the dish.

My dad got the Pan-Seared Halibut Cheeks, and no they were not the actual cheeks. The bite I had of his dish was devine. Kudos to you agian OCI, another peice of fish that I loved.

And now everyones favorite meal of the day, Dessert! Like any other girl, the minute I saw chocolate and heard it was good, I ordered. The OCI Chocolate Dream Torte was rich and creamy and I do dream about it. I would suggest that if you order this dessert, order a glass of milk to go along.

Once again, Dad and I ordered something different. The Creme Brulee that he ordered was decedent and rich, but not so rich that you needed to wash it down with something.

Oregon Culinary Institute is open every day that school is in (including during the summer). The four course dinner is only 18 dollars which is an astounding price for a meal that fills you up for a day and a half. Also, the lunch menu is just as filling and delicious for only 12 dollars.

I would suggest this restaraunt to anyone and everyone as well as the school and will definatly be going back to eat if not for school.

No comments:

Post a Comment